Celebrate comics and pop culture at O Comic Con. The event runs Friday from noon-8 pm, Saturday from 9-8, and Sunday from 9-5. Tickets are $20-25 for the day, with a $40 pass for all three days. Parking is free, and children 12 and under are admitted free when accompanied by a paid adult.
One Arena Way
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
See the fireworks over Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs at dusk (9:30 pm). Free.
1100 South Shore Dr.
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
From: LTC (Ret) Michael DeBolt
I would like to invite you to the Medal of Honor Wall Dedication Ceremony on Saturday, 2pm at Heartland of America Park. Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Gomez went to Central, Miguel Keith to North High. They have schools, streets and/or parks named after them in South Omaha.
Echo Taps will be played by music teacher Kim Ingraham of Bryan High School who is part of Bugles Across of America playing at many of our 9/11, Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day services. She will be joined by her sister Carly. JROTC Cadets will carry 27 American Flags to honor our 27 names on the wall. Singing the National Anthem will be music teacher Tatiana Eskridge from OPS Mount View. Benson JROTC will provide the Color Guard.
Along with dignitaries listed below, I am excited to host the families of three Medal of Honor recipients. Dale Hansen’s brother from Wisner, Nebraska is bringing the Medal of Honor to place on display. Dale’s nephew Tom is rounding up as much of the family as possible to be on hand to honor his uncle. Mary Easley is the aunt of Miguel Keith. She is bringing Miguel’s Medals with her along with photos. She is hoping his cousins from Kansas City make it as well. Ed ‘Babe’ Gomez will be represented by Crystal Keele-Zimmermann who will be on hand to share the legacy of Babe.
Joining the event will be local Veteran’s groups to include the American Legion, Veteran’s of Foreign Wars, Gold Star families, and Honor & Remember families. Randy Zahn and Heartland Airborne Association has spent 8 years planning this monument and raising the nearly $12,000 for the granite work by JF Bloom.
This is JROTC 100th Anniversary, as part of our community service we raised $5,000 in funds to see this project to completion. Please join us as we honor the sacrifice of our fallen.
Planned program includes:
- My Country ‘Tis of Thee sung by Sarpy Serenaders Barbershop Chorus
- Welcome- LTC (Ret) Michael DeBolt, Omaha Public Schools Military Science Department
- Presentation of the Colors (Benson High School Color Guard)
- National Anthem sung by Tatiana Eskridge (Mount View Elementary)
- Invocation – Heartland Airborne Chaplain Arnold Teachout
- Senator Tommy Garrett remarks
- God Bless America sung Sarpy Serenaders Barbershop Chorus
- Keynote- BG (Ret) Don Bacon
- Congressman Brad Ashford – Dedication of Wall
- Unveiling of wall with assistance by Dale Hansen Family, Miguel Keith Family and Babe Gomez Family
- Gun Salute Benson Post 2503
- Echo Taps Kimberly and Carly Ingraham (Bryan High School/Westside High School)
- Mayor Jean Stothert remarks (Omaha)
- Mayor Matt Walsh remarks ( Council Bluffs)
- Benediction – Heartland Airborne Chaplain Arnold Teachout
- LTC (Ret) Michael DeBolt – Retire the Colors
- Service Medley Song sung Sarpy Serenaders Barbershop Chorus
Medal of Honor Wall Dedication
November 5, 2016
Heartland of America Park
800 Douglas Street